On Wednesday November 2, we began the day with a cruise on the Mississippi River on the Creole Queen. We went down the river while our guide gave a narration of points of interest along the way. The boat docked at Chalmette Battlefield where Andrew Jackson and company won the Battle of New Orleans near the end of the War of 1812.  On the way back, our guide gave an extensive and very interesting account of Hurricane Katrina, the effects on the area, and the things that went wrong and right.

When we got to NOLA and checked in to our hotel, we walked up along the Mississippi River Walk. We rode the Riverfront Streetcar back to Harrah's, where we ate dinner.

After our tour on the river, we took a streetcar down to the Garden District and did a self-guided walking tour seeing all the grand houses in this old, yet beautiful section of the city. We saw the houses that Sandra Bullock, John Goodman, and Archie Manning lived in (as well as other famous people).

Thursday November 3 did not find us slowing down at all. We toured a fantastic museum in the morning, the World War II Museum of New Orleans. When we left the museum, we stopped at Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Later that day I got a Po-Boy (sandwich) - fried oyster

On Monday October 31, 2016, Frank and I left Strattanville at 3:45 am and drove to Pittsburgh and then flew to New Orleans. We had a two-hour stop at Dallas. 

After the swamp tours, we drove up Great River Road where there were many sugar cane plantations. We stopped at Laura's Plantation and took a 2-hour tour of a Creole Plantation. Our guide, Camille, was excellent. She was interesting and we learned so much of plantation life and the life of the Creole. The tour was just great! I bought the book of Laura's memoirs. When we left this plantation we drove to and took some pictures from the road of Oak Alley Plantation, one which is well photographed.

We flew home Friday with a stop in St.Louis though we didn't get off of the plane there. I was really glad I took the trip and I enjoyed everything we did there.

Click Here to see all of my New Orleans pictures.

Later that afternoon, we walked around the French Quarter, checking out Bourbon Street and we ended up at Jackson Square in front of the St. Louis Cathedral. From there we went over to Frenchmen Street to listen to some music and then we caught a Uber back to our room.

We got up and had breakfast at the Hyatt to begin Tuesday November 1.  After we ate, we walked across the street and rented a car from Hertz. We drove about a half-hour south of the city to the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve where we took a swamp tour. Our captain gave us a lot of interesting information as we cruised down canals and into the bayou. We saw gators, birds, big turtles, and wild boars. 

Trip to New Orleans

Click Here to see all of my New Orleans pictures.

Tuesday evening, we checked in the Wyndham La Bell Maison, a time share that Laura Walters gave us for three nights. It was very nice and we are very grateful to Laura.